Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Long Live Wang Dang Doodle Koko Taylor Style

Dear Friends,

It is with the saddest heart that I write tonite about the passing of Koko Taylor. She died this afternoon after complications from surgery. I had a profound meeting with Koko in Tunica in 2008 when I was in Mississippi. Our shared love of Gertrude 'Ma' Rainey was the foundation for our time together. I also had a chance to talk about her connection with Willie Dixon and the music they created. They were 'old school' Chicago with an innovative approach to standard blues form. I loved her attitude, her prowess and the fact that she wasn't afraid to tell the story of a woman in her music. I wish deepest prayers to her family and friends. Long live 'Wang Dang Doodle" - Koko Taylor style.

Hugs,
Kat

No comments: