Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Women of the Delta Blues - Pt. 3-Tutwiler Women: Carolyn & Millie




The food, the fishin' and the blues walk hand in hand at the crossroads.  A road trip video of Jesse Mae Hemphill shows that when asked about her life as a musician she goes on and on about the food prepared...the chitlins, the collard greens, the fried pickles, the catfish...no mention of music at all.  

Millie with a mouth full of gold teeth as too shy to pose but carried on with her fishin' for catfish in the swamp.  Carolyn, the first black woman to own a business in Tallahatchie County, served up a load of stories with a huge plate of catfish which, like BB King, has become my favorite southern dish thus far.  Carolyn was quick to point out that you can't really get clogged arteries from her deep fried catfish cuz she cooks it at such high temperatures.  And did this woman have stories or what.  Turns out she's invited me back to do a blues concert in her place and we discussed all kinds of marketing strategies.  Despite knowing of technology both actively resist it for "all the 'evils'  that brings".  

There have been many times when I've been poked fun at for being 'slow and methodical' in my movements and speech.  Today I realized as I woke at 10a and lazily caught lunch at 4p that my mind is on Edmonton speed but my heart and my body are on Mississippi time!

That's the truth y'all,
Kat


3 comments:

Keb'lo said...

Hey Delta Danser,
If I had known of the Sonny Boy Memorial I would have been sure to send along one of my harps and a tube of Krazy Glue. More amazing photos and experiences.
keb

Kat said...

LMAO (laughing my ass off) new one! And I, dear friend, would have taken the harmonica, sold it and pocketed the cash. That's the kind of friend I am! ;-)

Keb'lo said...

Ya! Right!!!