Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Grad School & Homeless Connect

I'm dog paddling in the deep end at graduate studies. I never though in million years I'd be in University again but there I am and what a privilege it is. I've already read more books and articles in one month than I have in the last 20 years. At 3,000 pages a week, class time and paper writing...whew! However, I'm exhilarated. It's not every day that I can focus on the blues all day long...music, music, music.

This past weekend I played at the Shaw Conference Centre for a project named Homeless Connect. As you know if you've followed my blogs, I care alot about this topic. There are always lots of opportunities to play for free so I've had to limit that because...well...I am running a music business and Revenue Canada expects that I'll make money some year. My strategy has been to pick a social issue that I care deeply about and do 3 benefits a year. Keeps my Karma in check and helps out the community at the same time .

Anyhow, homeless connect is not just about giving it's about our neighbors, the citizens of our community ..its about saying 'hey, you have a chance here. we want to hear you and help you'. It brings together the corporate and private business world with thousands of people to offer a hand up not just a hand out. The gig is not about recognition, not about publicity, not about sales, not about the show...it's about the fact that musicians need to be paid and people who need music in their lives need to have free access.

I felt so honored being a part of that experience. I hope you keep your eyes out for the next one in May and come down to spend time sharing food, sharing resources and sharing encouragement.

xo Kat

No comments: