Monday, April 14, 2008

Mississippi John Hurt







My musical positioning is natural to the music of the Delta Hill Country (north Delta region) in the loping, lush green hills.  A genteness and an ease that is reflected in the musical artistry of folk-blues legend, Mississippi John Hurt, and Jessie Mae Hemphill.  There is not alot complicated in the music...strong on melody and on trance repetitive patterns would best characterize this style from my point of view.  

Mississippi John Hurt has been a long time favorite of mine ever since I saw a short video clip of his work a number of years ago.  His infectious smile and rhythmic nature are hard to resist and I found him to be a shy, humble and happy guy on the clips.  By all recollections of him this is true.  

He took me on quite a ride today to find his place.  It is the remotest location of all I have been to so far.  Deep in the groves along winding gravel roads I came upon his home, a shotgun shack now a museum.  The peacefulness of setting was beautiful and it was hard to leave.  But then it was like I couldn't leave because for the first time on this trip I was lost.  Circled his place for a couple hours growing tired but persistent.  I threw on a Jessie Mae disc and all was well with the world.  

Although Miss. John wrote alot about Avalon, his place is actually close to Valley (photo of the store).  It is a maze but well worth the trip!  Thanks for all your great tunes and perfect Delta attitude MJH !

Kat

2 comments:

lizblues said...

Hey Kat,
So many familiar places you're visiting ... you are on my dream trip, you lucky woman!
I haven't been to the Delta for three years and I'm missing it so.
Did you find Mississippi John Hurt's grave? I drove the same road you did and looked and looked for the gravesite. Never found it, but did find a true sense of peace ... all alone in the woods with John's spirit everywhere!
Did you meet Joanie in Clarksdale?
Liz in Ottawa

Kat said...

Hi Liz,
Terrific to hear from you! I am truly blessed to make this journey. I, too, looked and looked for John's grave but I think the reference 'mailbox' has been removed. Drove around alot but just couldn't locate it. Too bad.

I haven't met Joanie yet. I'm back there this weekend staying at the Riverside Motel, getting some 1-1 time with Honeyboy Edwards and chillin' to the Juke Joint Festival. I'm sure I'll meet her really soon.

Take good care and thanks for checkin' in...Kat