Friday, April 11, 2008

Bobby Rush: Raw (#1 CD of 2007)





Every time I put my pants on backwards I have an incredible day!  So when I realized that I had indeed done it again I knew this was gonna be a good one and was it ever...

It all starts a few months ago when my friend Vlad Gomez phoned me from a club in Toronto as he was listening to Bobby Rush and Honeyboy Edwards acoustic at a club.  At the time I couldn't believe what I was hearing in the background.  When he got home Vlad lent me each artist's CD (both signed) from the gig.  I had Bobby Rush's RAW playing in my car for 3 straight months.  (Even beat Lucinda and Mary Gautier's record.)  Well, as the story goes, and this will be a surprise to Vlad, I lost Bobby Rush's CD at the Saskatoon Blues Festival.  CD's are like socks in the dryer in my life...they just go missing no matter how much I value them.  Anyway, I was on a mission to get another one for Vlad but how to get a signature?  In the planning phase for this project I realized that Bobby Rush was playing in Greenwood, Mississippi the same time I was going to be in the Delta.  So...

Tonite I was taken to the side of the stage by Bobby's son, Carl, where I watched, video taped and photographed the show.  The vibe was incredible.  Funk like you wouldn't believe and that band was TIGHT!  Now it wasn't the acoustic show but I didn't expect that.  What I also didn't expect was how friendly and open Bobby and his son were with me.  After signing a few new RAW CD's (Vlad, yours is on its way home), he gave me another of his discs, signed a photograph and gave me his card to contact him at home any time I would like to.  Can you freakin' believe it!!!!!

This day and night will live vividly in my memory for the rest of my life.  I will get a chance to see Bobby again as he is nominated for two International Blues Awards:  Traditional Blues and Soul.  Talk about versitile eh?

That's it...over and out!
Kat "Delta" Danser

4 comments:

Keb'lo said...

As I sit in the "Nisku Inn" between shifts at the Edmonton International Airport twisting wrenches on and dirty old airplane I am listening to Bobby Rush's "Raw" on itunes thanks to my apple laptop and you looking at more amazing photos of your delta diversion...wow!!! If at some point on your journey you need a harmonica player I am only a flight away! Seriously!!! I'm there.
keb

J. said...

Hi Kat,
Just a quick hello from Joline, LeAnn and Anne. Reviewing your web site and wondering how you have been - looks like you have been having a good time.
LeAnn

Kat said...

Keb'lo,
I've thought of you so many times on this trip. It really is one you oughta be on for you! You know what I mean? As such a devotee of this genre I think you'd go crazy for this place. Much like I have. Make sure and take good care of your hands in the wrist twisting events of your day. Hugs, Kat

Kat said...

LeAnn (Joline and Anne)...what the heck is goin' on? Wonderful to hear from work peeps! I have been having an amazing time. Better than I'd even dreamed actually so you know it's gotta be fine. Missing my sweet one alot but getting used to life without the daily grind (and I don't mean coffee - :-) ) I hope all of you are well and missing me...ha ha. Love, Kat